Installing Norton Antivirus
Norton antivirus protects your computer from viruses, worms and Trojans. It also scans the web pages displayed in the browser for harmful code that can damage the system, clean viruses in incoming and outgoing emails. It also removes spyware software’s that slows down the system by tracking your system usage and leaking out important information such as passwords. You can install Norton antivirus software from the CD to protect the system from Virus, worms and Trojans.
- Check if your system has the necessary requirements specified in the software’s ‘System requirements’.
- Uninstall any previous version of Norton Antivirus, or any other antivirus software already installed on the system. Restart the system after uninstalling the software.
- Close all the open files and programs before installing the software.
- Insert the Norton Antivirus CD inside the DVD drive.
- Browse the CD and locate the software setup file.
- Double click the setup file. The Norton antivirus window will appear.
- Click the ‘Install’ button. The ‘Welcome to Norton Antivirus setup screen appears.
- Click the ‘Next’ button. The preinstall check-up screen appears. The preinstall check-up, scans files on the system. The scan prompts you to delete the files that are infected with viruses.
- Click the ‘View details’ button to view the scan results.
- Click the ‘Next’ button. The select the destination folder screen appears. Select an appropriate destination folder.
- Click the ‘Next’ button. The installation starts and the ‘Norton Antivirus has been successfully installed’ screen appears.
- Select the ‘Restart Windows Now’ option.
- Click the ‘Finish’ button. Windows will restart and the ‘Norton antivirus 2006 Post Installation wizard’ appears.
- The ‘Post Installation’ wizard enables you to configure additional settings before using the Norton antivirus software.
- Click ‘Next’ button. The Norton antivirus ‘product registration’ screen appears. Select the option ‘I have already purchased the product and have a product key’.
- Click ‘Next’ button. The ‘Thank you’ screen appears. Click the ‘Finish’ button.
Configuring the Norton Antivirus:
- Click ‘Start’ – ‘Programs’ – ‘Norton Antivirus’. The Norton antivirus window appears.
- The window displays panes that have options to access and configure the different features. You must click the option from window that you want to access. The window displays the following:
- Live update: Displays the Live update window to update the Norton Antivirus.
- Options: Displays the options window to configure Norton Antivirus.
- Help & support: Displays a drop down menu with different help options.
- Norton Antivirus: Lists the different options available.
- Status: Displays the status and a quick way to access the frequently used Norton Antivirus Features.
- Scans: Displays the different scanning options.
- Reports: Displays the scan summaries and virus information.
- Click on ‘options’. The Norton antivirus window appears and displays a button in the left pane and settings for the option in the right pane. The left pane displays the following:
- System: Specifies the options for scanning the system.
- Internet: Specifies options for scanning emails and messenger activity.
- Other: Specifies the different threats that must be identified on the system.
- Default all: Resets all the options to the default levels set by Norton.
- To change the settings, you must select the required option from the left pane, and click ok after changing the settings displayed in the right pane.
Scanning checks the system for virus infected files. Norton antivirus enables you to select the drives, folders or files that you want to scan.
- Update the software using live update before scanning.
- Close all the running programs before scanning.
- Open Norton antivirus and click ‘Scan for Viruses’ from the left pane. The ‘Scan for Viruses’ pane appears. It displays different options.
- Run full system scan. Scans the full system.
- Run Norton quick scan. Scans system for viruses when updates are downloaded.
- Scan all removable drives. Scans the removable media in drives such as floppy disk drive and CD drive.
- Scan all the floppy disks. Scans the media in the floppy disk drives.
- Scan drives. Displays a dialog box to select the drives to scan.
- Scan folders. Displays a dialog box to select the folders to scan.
- Scan files. Displays a dialog box to select the files to scan.
- Select the required scan option. The Norton antivirus scan starts displaying the status of the scan and the files scanned.
- Click the ‘Finish’ button to complete the scan.